Most children are happy to receive a toy or two on their birthdays, around the holidays and on special occasions. Toys are great tools for fun and entertainment, and if well-selected they can also be fabulous for learning and stimulation, but sometimes children are actually craving quality time with their parents or family members. There are plenty of ways to share with your kids and have fun without breaking the bank, below are our top 10 favorite fun activities.
10 Ways to have fun with your kids
- Visit a nearby park and enjoy beautiful winter weather, if it’s not too cold, a picnic can be ideal
- Visit a local children’s museum
- Schedule a session at an art studio, ceramic painting workshop, or creating on canvas
- Play some outdoor favorites like racing from point A to Point B balancing and egg on a spoon
- Do fun science experiments with your child, from ingredients you have in your kitchen. Kids love "getting dirty”, exploring textures, smells, and they can also learn about measuring. Some examples:
- Make your own slime
- Make your own organic play-doh
- Camp in the garden, set up a tent in the backyard and take time to appreciate the outdoors without going far
- Build an obstacle course in the backyard where kids have to complete a set of activities. Make it more challenging by timing each child and grown-up that completes the course. Make it more fun by being the “grown-up” participant.
- Play dress-up, let your kids select their costumes and be part of the fun by dressing up yourself
- Work on an easy cooking project that allows kids to be hands-on and see quick results
- Spend 30 minutes reading books, let your child select one of their favorite ones, if your kid is older, let them read to you, for the younger ones, make it a special time and act it out!
Some of these activities are already part of your child’s regular fun, but the fact that you take time to share the process with them can make all the difference.
Have lots of fun and let us know if you have any special activities that have worked out for your family!